Delicious easy cranberry apple muffins made with fresh cranberries, and apple with a touch of cinnamon and ginger. All fall flavors in one bite. Excellent holiday breakfast muffins.
It is the season of cranberries and apples , yes holidays recipes must have these two fruit.
Which fruit goes well with Cranberries?
Cranberries are known for its tart flavor. So, fruits which added to cranberries needs to be sweeter ones like orange, apple, and pineapple.
If you like orange and cranberry combination, then check this muffin recipe in this website. It is buttery and moist muffins.
How to make this cranberry apple muffins
Use a clear shot of the ingredients for this recipe, prepped, and labeled if necessary. Insert the ingredients into the list below, omitting quantities.
Flour: I used all-purpose flour, you can use combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat. Use 75: 25 %.
Cranberries : I used fresh cranberries you can use frozen one, then do not thaw them.
Apples : Use baking apples like Granny Smith which will keep its structure after baking.
Sugar : Both granulated sugar and brown sugar is used in this recipe. Granulated sugar adds sweetness, while brown sugar adds moistness.
Milk: I used whole milk, you can use your favorite milk
Egg : Acts not only as a binder but also gives lift to muffins.
Butter: Use melted butter to make this muffin, as it gives buttery tastes and pairs well with cranberries and apple.
Spices : Cinnamon and ground ginger goes well with both cranberries and apple.
Vanilla extract: It boost the flavor of the muffins
Leavening agents: This recipe uses both baking powder and baking soda as both cranberries apple makes the muffins heavy still it requires a lift while baking.
Salt : If you are using salted butter then you can skip the salt. Otherwise add salt to boost the taste of the muffin.
See recipe card for quantities.
First mix dry ingredients into the bowl with flour,baking powder ,baking soda and salt.
Add spices and sugar
In another bowl mix egg, vanilla extract, melted butter and milk.
Fold in chopped cranberries and apple.
For topping Make mix of cranberries, apple, brown sugar and cinnamon. You can skip this and just add everything to batter, and this gives extra boost to the muffins
You can use dried cranberries instead of fresh cranberries. Instead of cranberries, you can use dried blueberries or raisins.
Instead of milk you can use sour cream which also make muffin moist.
In place of vanilla extract, you can use almond extract.
Crushed pineapple and chopped walnuts can be added to make this muffin.
Can I make this muffin with dried cranberries?
Yes, you can use dried cranberries in this recipe, however, use ¼ cup cranberries.
Can I freeze muffin for future use?
These muffins stay fresh in room temperature for 2 days, after that freeze them for longer storage. When you are ready to serve thaw them and enjoy.
If you make this muffin, please tag me nidhinikhil on Instagram and zestysouthindiankitchen on Facebook.
I made this muffin as part of #Muffinmonday Bakes#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
- Blueberry Basil Jam Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Poppy Zucchini Bread Muffins from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Sourdough Apricot Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Summer Squash Parmesan Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Easy Cranberry Apple Muffins
- 1 ¼ cup 162.5g all-purpose flour
- ½ cup 100g sugar
- ¼ cup 50g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon 3g baking powder
- ½ teaspoon 3g baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup 72g fresh Cranberries Chopped
- ¾ cup 110g Granny smith apple Chopped
- ¼ cup butter 56.5g melted and cooled
- ½ cup 120g milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- Preheat oven to 425F and line the muffin tin with liner.
- In a large bowl add flour, granulated sugar + 2 tablespoon brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt , ginger and¼ teaspoon cinnamon and mix well.
- In another bowl add egg, melted butter , milk and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Mix the wet ingredients with dry ingredients well.
- Set aside 3 tablespoons of cranberries and apples.
- Fold in rest of cranberries and apples into the batter.
- In a bowl add reserved cranberries and apples and cinnamon and 2 tablespoon brown sugar and mix well use this as topping.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about ¾ of the way. Top each muffin with about 1 teaspoon fruit filling.
- Bake the muffin at 425°F / 218°C for 8 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 350°F /176°C and continue to bake until it becomes golden brown in the top for about 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.