This Apple Pie Sourdough Bread is best of classic combo with sourdough dough and apple pie filling.
Do you love apple pie, I ama fan of it? I love sourdough bread too. So, decide to incorporate both in a bread, and the result is apple pie sourdough bread. This is a naturally leavened bread with apple pie filling such as fresh apples, cinnamon, lemon zest, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Best of both worlds, yes sourdough bread and classic apple pie filling.
How to make this Apple pie sourdough bread?
This is the marriage of sourdough bread with classic apple pie. For this you need following ingredients
Young Leavain/ Starter: Yes I used 100% 50: 50 all-purpose flour: whole wheat starter. Make sure to make active young starter.
Flour: Bread flour adds chewiness and give rise to bread. I used around 64% of total flour.
Whole wheat flour: this adds extra fiber to the recipe along with nuttiness. I used around 30 %
All purpose flour form rest of 6 % of the total flour
Water: I used around 73% water, make sure to keep this range as when you add apples, cinnamon and brown sugar, water will be released from the apple.
Apples: I used about 1 large granny smith apple about 225 g chopped. I like the tart granny smith apple, you can use red apple too.
Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg. I have found that adding cinnamon in the beginning as well as too much will affect the rate of fermentation, perhaps even decrease the fermentation. So, it will be better to add that while incorporating apple pie filling during lamination.
Lemon zest: Instead of lemon juice which is an ingredient in apple pie filling. I added lemon zest that will help will control the water content.
Brown Sugar: I have used only minimal amount of brown sugar. Just to give a hint of sweetness. You can increase amount of sugar if you want.
Points to remember while making Apple pie Sourdough Bread?
1) Use young levain to get less sour bread.
2) Make sure to keep 73% hydration.
3) Autolyse the dough before adding levain as it has whole wheat flour
4) If you want you can add grated apple. But I love to see the little pieces so used small piece about ¼ inch pieces
5) This simple bread you can play with different types of flour.
6) If you are using cinnamon make sure to use less than 1%. The chemical compound cinnamic aldehyde in cinnamon impairs yeast activity, as do tree bark spices in general when used in “large amounts” in the dough. Similarly, you need to use less nutmeg as it high in heavy oil content.
I have few recipes of breads made with apples.
If you do not have sourdough starter in hand, you can try this bread
This is great bread for toast with some little butter. If you want, you can freeze the bread up to 3 months. If you want to use it fresh it will remain fresh for about 3 days.
If you tried this recipe do not forget to tag me @nidhinikhil at Instagram and zestysouthindiankitchen on Facebook
Apple Pie Sourdough Bread
- For Leaven
- 20 g Bread flour
- 20 g Whole Wheat Flour
- 30 g active sourdough starter
- 40 g water
- For the dough
- 335 g bread flour
- 145 g Whole Wheat flour
- Entire leaven
- 375 g water
- 9 g salt
- 222 g Apple pieces Granny Smith
- 20 g brown sugar Increase the brown sugar amount if you want sweet bread about 50g will be fine
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 4 g cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Prepare Leaven
- Mix all the ingredients for leaven and set aside for about 6 hours.
- In another bowl bread flour, whole wheat flour and water and mix well and 1 hours.
- Bread dough
- When leaven is ready mix with autolyzed flour mix to form as shaggy dough. Set aside for 30 minutes before adding salt.
- After adding salt and set aside for another 30 minutes then fold the dough at 2 one-hour interval and then laminate the dough for another 1 hour. Spread apple pie filling. You need to make apple pie filling, with apple pieces, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest and brown sugar
- And coil fold the dough 1-hour interval for next two hours and then shape the dough.
- Once you shaped the dough transfer to banneton and set aside refrigerator for cold ferment for 12 hours.
- Next morning pre-heat oven to 475 F score the dough and transfer the dough into cold Dutch oven.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven for 475 F for 25 min. Then reduce the temp to 450F for another 20 minutes Then remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.