Delicious Fresh mint and Lime Shortbread Cookies made with fresh mint leaves and lime zest and lime juice and powdered sugar.If you are looking for a simple and aromatic shortbread cookie that has combo of mojito drink, then here is the Fresh mint and Lime Shortbread cookies. It is very easy to put together and made with only fresh mint and lime juice and lime zest. As St. Patrick’s Day is coming you can make this delicious and easy shortbread which hints of green from fresh mint and lime zest.
What is short bread?
Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit usually made from one-part white sugar, two parts butter, and three parts of flour. Other ingredients like ground rice or corn flour are sometimes added to alter the texture. Modern recipes also often deviate from the original by splitting the sugar into equal parts granulated and icing sugar and many add a portion of salt.
The texture of shortbread varies from sandy to dense. Sandy shortbread is result of adding rice flour as one of the ingredients. For a dense structure need just flour, butter, cornstarch and sugar.
Main difference between as sugar cookies and shortbread are sugar cookies often have many ingredients including eggs, vanilla, salt and a leavening agent such as baking powder or baking soda. Traditional shortbread has four ingredients at most: sugar, butter, flour and sometimes vanilla. Also, most of the time Shortbread is thicker and denser than a sugar cookie. It also contains more butter, so the taste is richer.
How I made Fresh mint and Lime Shortbread Cookies
Fresh mint and Lime are like buddies when they are together. They make everything not only delicious perfect in every single way. That is, they become ultimate combo in mojito. Refreshing lime with fresh aromatic mint is one of kind, you can mix both mint and lime with various others combination of herbs and fruits, still this combination is topmost one.
Why I like this recipe is because it uses fresh mint, fresh lime zest and lime juice. There is no extract or artificial flavoring in this Fresh Mint and Lime Shortbread cookie recipe. Since it is a shortbread, it doesn’t have egg. Best part is the taste of mint and lime lingers in your mouth for quite some time. This recipe is adapted from Sister pie cook book
If you are looking for not overly sweet cookies, then try this fresh mint and lime shortbread cookies. I didn’t coat with powdered sugar after baking the cooking.
Tips to remember
- Finely mince the mint leaves, make sure to get fresh one, give preference to young one. Also make mint sugar mix so that mint release oil and make the shortbread more minty flavor.
- Soften the butter in room temperature so that you can easily incorporate powdered sugar.
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice rather than bottled one, as bottled ones contain preservatives.
- Feel free to bake either as round cookies or even cut out designs just I like did in this recipe.
- You can make ahead the shortbread dough and store it in refrigerator up to 2 days or you can freeze them up to 3 months. Once you are ready to bake shape the cookies and bake.
- This cookie can be stored in air tight container for up to 1 week.
Why wait venture into your kitchen garden and get some mint and grab lime and start making the delicious shortbread. Let me know how it turned out for you.
Fresh mint and Lime Shortbread Cookies
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter soften at room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a bowl mix four, salt and mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl add mint leaves and sugar and mix well and set aside.
- In a kitchen aid mixer fitted with paddle attachment place butter, powdered sugar and lime zest and mint leaves and incorporated.
- To this incorporate lime juice and mix once again, gradually add flour and salt mixture and combine everything.
- Remove the dough and shape it into either log or a disc and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, you can keep upto 2 days refrigerated dough.
- When you are ready to bake pre-heat oven to 350F and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the refrigerated dough the well-floured work bench and spread it into ¼ thickness rectangle. Then cut out desired shaped and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Bake it until the sides becomes slightly golden brown about 14-16 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to cooling rack and let it completely cool . Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- I preferred without powdered sugar.
Pin it for later
Other shortbread cookie recipes are
- Nankhatai: Indian Style Shortbread cookies
- . Rose Cardamom Pistachio Shortbread cookies
- Jackfruit Shortbread cookies
- Chai Shortbread Cookies
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.