Delicious sourdough cherry almond muffins made with fresh sweet cherries, almonds, and almond milk makes an excellent breakfast dish.
Cherries are here as summer season begins; you can make this delicious sourdough cherry almond muffins with fresh sweet cherries as well as tart cherries.
Sourdough starter adds extra moistness to the recipe without making them tangy.
How many types of cherries?
Cherries are one of the stone fruits that is available during summer. There are many kinds of sweet cherries like Bing, Rainier, sweetheart that you can eat raw.
Then there are sour cherries like Morello, Montmorency, Balaton etc., which is too sour to eat but good at pickles, sauce and preserve.
Finally black cherries are used to make wine, cocktails, jam, and flavoring rum.
How to store cherries ?
You need to store them in refrigerator if you are planning to use within a week, if you want to keep it for long time then use it in freezer.
How to make sourdough cherry almond muffins
You need following ingredients to make these delicious muffins.
Sourdough starter : I used 100% all-purpose flour starter ( you can use whole wheat flour or a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour starter) .
If you do not have sourdough starter in hand, try to make one yourself, check here How to make a sourdough starter.
All purpose flour : I have used unbleached all-purpose flour; you can use whole wheat flour, then muffin will be slightly dense. A mix of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour will also work well.
Baking powder : This is leavener used it the recipe.
Sugar : I used granulated sugar you can use xylitol or coconut sugar in that place.
Eggs : Adds extra moistness and acts as binder
Almond milk : I used unsweetened almond milk, you can use your favorite milk
Salt : Salts brings out flavor and sweetness in the muffin
Almonds : I used slivered almonds you can use chopped almonds too
Cherries : I used pitted sweet cherries. You can use frozen cherries too, however make sure not to thaw them before adding it into the dough.
Vanilla extract: I have used vanilla extract you can use almond extract also.
Variation for these muffins?
These are few variations you can make using this recipe just replace almonds with
1) You can either add chocolate chips or chocolate chunks to make chocolate cherry muffins.
2) Citrus goes well with cherries; you can make lemon cherry muffins and orange cherry muffins.
3) If you want to make it adult muffin add some Kirsch, bourbon to make Bourbon cherry muffins
Do you like more cherry recipes?
If you try this recipe, please tag me @nidhinikhil at Instagram and @zestysouthindiankitchen at Facebook.
I made these muffins as a part of #Muffinmonday.#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
- Blueberry Basil Jam Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Poppy Zucchini Bread Muffins from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Sourdough Apricot Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Summer Squash Parmesan Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Sourdough Cherry Almond Muffins
- 1 ¼ cup/ 163g Unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup / 100g Sourdough starter
- 2 teaspoon /6g baking powder
- ¾ cup / 150g sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoon / 71g Unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon / 2g salt
- ⅓ cup / 67g Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup / 125g Sweet Cherries
- ⅓ cup / 35 g Almond Slivered
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425F/ 218 C and line the muffin tin with 9 liners or grease the muffin tin well so that it will not get stick and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix, flour, baking powder, salt and keep aside.
- In a large bowl add sugar, melted butter, egg , almond milk , vanilla extract and mix well then add sourdough starter and combine once again.
- Then add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine well. If you see some dry bits of flour is there that is okay do not overmix it.
- Then fold in ¾ cup of sliced pitted cherries and ¼ cup almonds into the dough, rest reserve for garnishing on the top of muffin.
- Transfer the dough to prepared muffin tin. Top with reserved cherries and almonds.
- Bake at 425F/ 218 C for 8 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350F/177 C for 13 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffin to wire rack and cool completely . You can keep this muffin in room temperature for 1 day and then refrigerate for 2 days. If you want to keep longer period freeze the muffins.
- Enjoy with cup of coffee or tea.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.