Sourdough orange muffins with goodness of sourdough, orange zest, orange juice, vanilla extract, and almond.
If you are looking for a simple breakfast muffin which is full of citrusy goodness, then try this Sourdough Orange muffins. This muffin is an excellent way to use up sourdough starter left over after your bread bake. This orange muffin has fresh orange juice and orange zest.
Oranges and other Citrus fruits are in season from November to June. Make sure while selecting oranges and tangerines, to look for those that feel heavy for their size and have thinner rather than thicker skin for the variety. Store them in a cool but not chilled spot.
Health benefits of oranges?
When it comes to health benefits, Oranges and others Citrus are rich in flavonoids, alkaloids, coumarins, limonoids, carotenoids, phenolic acids, and volatile compounds, and provide a rational basis for various biological activities. Among them, flavonoids (especially flavanones, flavanonols and methoxylated flavones) exhibit more bioactivities compared to other secondary metabolites.
However, all these active metabolites work synergistically to exhibit anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-microbial and anti-allergy effects, as well as presenting cardiovascular protection, neuroprotective effect, hepatoprotective effect, etc. In addition to that they are the richest source of Vitamin C. Around vitamin C content of 33–50 mg/100 mL for orange juice (Valencia) obtained by squeezing the fresh fruit.
How to make this Sourdough Orange Muffins
Sourdough starter / Discard : You can use any sourdough starter. I used 50: 50 All purpose flour and whole wheat flour 100% hydration sourdough starter.
Flour : I used unbleached all-purpose flour, you can substitute with half of whole wheat flour or 100% whole wheat flour itself.
Sugar : Granulated sugar is used for the sweetness. This is not overly sweet muffin.
Orange : Both orange juice and zest are used
Vanilla extract : orange pairs well with vanilla extract
Almonds: Almond adds extra protein content to the dish along with nutty taste. Almonds also pairs well with orange .
Baking powder is used as leavener to give extra lift.
Egg: eggs add moistness and act as a binder in the muffin recipe.
Variations to this Sourdough orange Muffins
1) I have used just orange juice to brush the muffins; you can dust them with powdered sugar once you brush with orange juice.
2) Substitute chocolate chips, cranberries, cherries for almonds
3) You can make glaze with orange juice and sugar use it to muffin with dash of orange extract.
4) You also add a whole orange pureed along with this muffin batter.
Other muffin recipes are
Points to remember
Most important tips, if you are not going to make a glaze then make sure to brush the sourdough orange muffins with fresh orange juice once it comes out of the oven. Then will help to keep the muffins moist.
If you try this recipe, please tag me @nidhinikhil Instagram . For Facebook @zestysouthindiankitchen.
I made this Sourdough Orange Muffins as part of #Muffinmonday.
- Banana Rhubarb Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cheerios Banana Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- S’mores Muffins from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Sourdough Strawberry Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Vegan Chocolate Cherry Muffins from Magical Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups 175g all-purpose flour
- ½ cup 113g Sourdough Starter / discard
- 3/4 cups 150g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 60ml canola oil
- Zesty of 2 oranges
- 3/4 cup 180ml orange juice ( divided )
- 2 teaspoon 5g baking powder
- 1/3 cup 33g almonds (sliced almonds)
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F/204⁰C. Line muffin tin with 10 muffin paper or grease the muffin tin.
- In a bowl, whisk together, eggs, granulated sugar, oil, orange zest( keep 1 tsp orange zest aside) and ½ cup orange juice, vanilla extract, and sourdough starter until incorporated.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt mix well then add this dry ingredient to wet mixture until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 400⁰F/204⁰C for 8 minutes . Then reduce the temperature for 350⁰F/180⁰C for 10 minutes or until the muffin is golden in color and toothpicks comes out clean when it is inserted.
- When its muffin is done, finish the muffin brush with orange juice, this will keep the muffin moist, then dust with powdered sugar if you want, I did not.
Sourdough Orange Muffins
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.