Glass of Strawberry Buttermilk Smoothie makes morning breezy
How is the start of your week, I have become lazy as I have two kids at home. They make the home messy. If I clean a room, it is hardly tidy for an hour. Within an hour it comes to original shape. I wish I have some magic hands, which I can use every time to clean the house, when they make mess. In a crazy morning this strawberry buttermilk smoothie comes to help a lot.
I got this recipe from a magazine I was grazing while waiting for picking up a medicine from pharmacy. Even there were gossip magazine like People’s magazine; I didn’t take a look at it. I went for other magazine which has recipe in it. If you are a food blogger that is your main problem, everywhere you look for recipes. In my hometown language there is a proverb” manjapitham ullavanu ellam manja aayi thonnum”means when you have jaundice you will see everything as yellow. Same thing if you are food blogger you will always looks for recipes everywhere.
My grandma used to make simple butter milk drink called (sambaram) during hot summer days. Actually she would dilute the home made yogurt into thin liquid using water. Then she adds spices, like green chilies, ginger and curry leaves. I have earlier made buttermilk with milk and vinegar. However this time I followed the tip to make buttermilk from yogurt. Nowadays lot of juicy sweet strawberries is available in the market. It is so delicious and hard to resist them while you are passing through the aisle. So I buy every time.
Coming to the smoothie this really easy you just need some yogurt, milk, strawberries, or if you want to make it healthy add some chia seeds or flax seeds. I used flax seed meal. I used sugar for my kids and without sugar for hubby and me. If you want, you can add any favorite sweetness. Give it try. I have tried strawberry lassi earlier. It is also delicious.
Here comes the recipe. Give it try good for busy morning.
Strawberry Buttermilk Smoothie
- 2 cup strawberries
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- ½ cup ice
- 1 teaspoon flax seed meal use chia seeds if you want
- ½ tablespoon Sugar/1 teaspoon agave extract I skipped for us where added in kids serving
- Hull the strawberries and cut it into pieces and add buttermilk, flax seed meal, ice into a blender and blend well until everything combine well.
- Serve with or without added sweetener.
- *You can make buttermilk substitute by following methods.
- •Yogurt: Mix 3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup water to thin.
- •Sour Cream: Mix 3/4 cup sour cream with 1/4 cup plain water to thin.
- •Cream of Tartar: Mix 1 cup of milk with 1 3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar. Let stand 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened and curdled.
- •Lemon juice/ Vinegar: Mix 1 scant cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes until it is slight thickened and curdled.
Pin it for later
This is Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.