Delicious creamy simple vegetable potage made with potato, leeks, and carrots.This is thicker and creamier than soup with touch of nutmeg.
Potage is french version of creamier soup. It is is a thicker, more creamier soup, while "soupe" is closer to a broth-based "soupe." Potage can be closer to the American "chowder," very thick and filled with chunky vegetables. And potage is mainly made with vegetables.
This potage is from the book of French country cooking Meals and moments from a village in the vineyards by Mimi Thorisson.
How to make this simple vegetable potage .
You need to make the vegetable potage creamier, so ingredients much include some starchy vegetables, Here I used potato. I think you can use sweet potato too.
Leeks are milder version of onion, has sweeter and delicate flavor than onion, green onion and garlic. etc. Leeks are loaded with vitamins A, C and K (important for helping your blood to clot). They also contain minerals such as iron and manganese (helps in the regulation of brain and nerve function). Leeks are also a good source of dietary fibre.
I have used butter , if you want to make it vegan use cococonut flaovr. which goes well with leeks and potato.
Carrots adds sweetness to the potage.
Tomato adds light tanginess. I use fresh tomatoes, if you want you can use tomato paste instead of fresh ones.
Cream addes extra richness to the recipe. You can feel free to use diary free cream too.
Seasoning for this potage includes only nutmeg, black pepper and salt.
Entire taste is coming from the vegetables.
Points to remember while making this Simple Vegetable Potage.
You need make sure clean leeks really well as it has dirt in between. You need to remove the older outer layer and cut the bottom roots. Once you chopped them into crosswise . Wash few times in running water to remove the dirt. You can use both white and green parts. Leek and potato are always awesome combo.
Make sure to chopp potato and carrots into cubes for easy cooking.
Once vegetables are slightly cooked add tomatoes and broth and then continue to cook until everything combined well . You can use tomato paste instead of fresh tomatoes.
Usehomemade vegetable broth that way you can control the Sodium content.
Sauce pot with Potato and Carrot
With chopped leeks
Vegetable broth and tomato
Puree the vegetable and incorporate the cream.
Finally garnish with green onions
Simple Vegetable Potage Soup
- 1 tablespoon of butter If you want to make it vegan use coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped carrots about 4
- 1 cup chopped russet potatoes
- 3 cup chopped leeks I used both green and white parts
- 2 tomatoes chopped or 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- ½ cup of cream/ diary free cream
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 fresh green onion chopped finely for garnish only green part
- In a medium sauce pot, melt butter and add carrots, potatoes, and leeks. Cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables become slight tender about 5 minutes.
- Then add vegetable stock, tomatoes ( if not using tomato paste nutmeg, salt and pepper and cover and continue to cook until they are soft about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup into the blender or using immersion blender. Whisk together with cream until the soup smooth and creamy.
- Reheat the over low heat before serving add fresh finely chopped green onion while serving the soup.
This is Swathi ( Dr. Ambujom Saraswathy Ph.D) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen who loves to explore cuisines from all over the world. Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. All the recipes you see here are created by me and approved after taste-test by my family.